Fibromyalgia is condition that is characterized by chronic pain. Patients diagnosed with this condition are prone to experience widespread discomfort in different regions in the body. This includes tenderness, fatigue, and musculoskeletal pain. Fibromyalgia can occur after any form of major psychological stress, injury, illness, or physical stress. Genetics is also likely to play a role. Since the condition can only be managed and not actually cured, working with the healthcare provider is what will help reduce the symptoms. There is no one single treatment for this condition either. The treatment plan is individualized according to the patients’ needs. Below are some of the types of treatments that are provided to patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
Treatment options for fibromyalgia
The treatment may include one or more of the following. Patients may also have to try the different options available to see which one or combination works best in controlling the pain and inflammation.
- Painkillers – Since ache is chronic and experienced on a regular basis, taking the suitable medications can help. Tramadol is among the top prescribed drugs for Fibromyalgia as it can be taken safely with lower risk of addiction when the drug is taken for a long time. The painkillers prescribed may also be that which can reduce inflammation and induce better sleep.
- Other drugs – Other drugs that are not actually painkillers may also be used in fibromyalgia patients. Antidepressants and anticonvulsants can help to relax the muscles and ease fatigue.
- Acupuncture – This may be an unconventional approach but has been in used in Chinese medicine for many centuries. Placing the needles at strategic points can help reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Yoga – Doing yoga can be very relaxing for your body and mind. You would also be able to learn different relaxation techniques that can help control the discomfort whenever it is severe.
- Supplements – Taking supplements as Vitamin D can help in reducing fatigue. Check with the doctor before consuming supplements of any kind so that it doesn’t become toxic. Get natural remedies like CBD oil for pain which will relieve the pain with minimal side effects
- Physical therapy – This incredibly beneficial in improving muscle strength and flexibility. When done right, physical therapy can effectively help to have a better handle on the pain.
- Exercise and other activities – Involving yourself in activities like cycling, swimming, or other forms exercise can help release endorphins, which are good for relieving ache and elevating fatigue.
- Massage – Opting for massage therapy from time to time can do a lot in relieving soreness. Any stress or anxiety would also fade away easily. Ensure that the therapist is a licensed person.
- Behavioral therapy – This is more about working with your doctor to control the symptoms of fibromyalgia as much as possible to reduce discomfort to a large extent.